THE LEGEND OF AGRICULA
Many years ago there lived a couple in the barrio of Trinidad named Nicolas and Agrifina. Nicolas was found of hunting.
One day, he asked permission from his wife to hunt for wild pigs and his request was granted. On his way to the forest he saw the wild pig and ran after it. Unfortunately he was not able to catch it. He took a short rest after he felt tired and thirsty. He noticed that the place where he stopped was uninhabited. He discovered further that it could be better place to live in. He built a temporary hut and he stayed there until he was able to catch the wild pig.
When he went home he related the story to his wife. They decided to transfer to the new place for good. More families came after them when they heard that food was abundant.
Years later the place was named “AGRICULA” which was derived from the Christian names of the first couple, Nicolas and Agrifina, who occupied after it.
THE LEGEND OF ALEGRIA
In the olden days, people were not yet sold to the idea of living together such that they wander from place to another. However, as years went by, the people decided together to form a village for a fear of a sudden attacks of bandits and other savage tribes.
Several years ago, a group of a people gather under a chieftain called Mal-am Diego in the mountains of Liedo and Nag-uban. Because of Mal-am Diego’s desire to make himself and his followers gregarious and happy, he summoned all his subjects to stage an opera to entertain themselves with the different kinds of folksongs and native dances.
In memory of the chieftain’s act of making people happy all the while, a barrio which was established later was named “ALEGRIA”, which means “the barrio of happiness”.
THE LEGEND OF ANINGALAN
Aningalan was uninhabited until 1945. The following year, specifically in 1946, two men from Tibiao, Antique came to San Remigio to search for a conducive place to settle in. They went as far as the area where Aningalan presently situated. They were Joseas Arzaga and Conrado Antonio.
Upon reaching the place they discovered that there were no people around because it was thickly forested with trees and talahib grasses. Through a man named Alejandro Dagohoy Sr. they were able to learn about how Aningalan was named.
During the Spanish Regime bandits frequented this place. After robbing people of their domestic animals they hid themselves inside a cave. It was said that they seemed to hear moans of Spanish soldiers asking for mercy. Because of this, they called the place “Aningalan” (from the kinaray-a verb “aningal” – to overhear) meaning a place where sounds could be heard.
When a barrio was established later they called it ANINGALAN.
THE LEGEND OF ATABAY
During the Spanish period, some Spanish soldiers called, “insurrectos” were assigned to patrol in the interior section of San Remigio. While they were patrolling one soldier came across a deep big hole filled with water.
He informed his companions about his discovery and they usually bathe here. It also became their source of drinking water. The soldiers liked the place so much that before they left they carved the word “ATABAY” on the big rock near the open well in order not to forget. They likewise recorded the name on their diaries.
Years afterwards a trail was formed near big rock and the people who passed by saw the carving on the stone. It became the basis for naming the barrio that was established soon after.
THE LEGEND OF BAGUMBAYAN
Many years ago the early settlers of this place lived near the riverbank of the Sibalom River. This place was located between the present site of Bagumbayan and San Rafael but the land had been swept away by the flood. Here the people lived peacefully in their progressive farms. They called this place “BUGO” because of the big Bugo tree growing by the bank of the river.
Unfortunately a very strong typhoon came and the flood changed the course of the river, which threatened the destruction of lives and properties of the people.
Foreseeing the possible danger that would arise, the people of this place agreed to transfer to Igbugtong.
In as much as most of the people from Igbugtong were their relatives, they agreed to occupy the area in the middle of the plain, which is now the site of Bugo…
The younger folks who owned tract of land across the Sibalom River later found difficulty in crossing it especially during rainy days. So they decided again to transfer to a place near a land were they farmed.
They called it Bagong Bayan, which means “a new place”. Later it was changed to BAGUMBAYAN” in memory of the place where Dr. Jose Rizal was shot.
THE LEGEND OF BALADJAY
The two adjacent barangays, Baladjay and Vilvar were called San Remigio. Baladjay was named after its founder Sr. Agustin Baladjay. The chief of town of San Remigio from the year 1864 until 1895 was called “Gobernadorcillo”, from 1895 to 1898 “ Capitan Municipal”, from 1899 to 1936, “Presidente Municipal”, from 1936 to 1951 up to the present, “Municipal Mayor”.
The town of San Remigio in its history is not complete if we forget the transfer of the site of the Poblacion from Baladjay to Calag-itan. This was done because of the raging waters and the grave destruction of the merciless Sibalom River which washed the part of Baladjay and erased the three streets of the barangay because of the typhoons that occurred in the years 1904 and 1912.
The Municipal Council recommended the transfer of the town site to Calag-itan through its Executive Order No.74, series of 1919 officially approved by Governor General Francis Burton Harisson. When Sr. Perfecto Petinglay was the Municipal President in the year 1931 through Resolution No.53, series of 1931, the township was transferred to Calag-itan and now is the present site of the town of San Remigio. After that Barangay Baladjay was called Banwa nga Daan and that is now what we call “Banwang Daan”.
Sr. Agustin Baladjay initiated the construction of the church so that the people will be able to worship God and become righteous followers. He also helped to provide the needs and equipment of the church and to secure the image of St. Vincent Ferrer as their patron saint. Its fiesta falls in the Last Sunday of April of every year.
Barangay Baladjay is the present site of the Diocesan Shrine of Saint Vincent Ferrer of the Iglesia Filipina Independiente where devotees from different places come to worship and venerate for the miraculous image. It is famous for its “Pula Waterfalls” with its enchanted beauty, the land of pure delight” … lines from the song San Remigio Beauty.
The famous writer, the late Lorna Revilla-Montilla, a bona fide San Remigionhon, well-bred writer, admired the cascading crystal-clear ice-cold water of this godly endowment, which, for a long time has remained hidden from the prying eyes of the swarming bathers. The moniker “Pula” (meaning red color) has become the official name of this falls because the old folks used to see the red colored waters cascading gently from a top.
Actually the red is but a hue of the sun’s rays filtered by the surrounding gigantic trees.
This is the barangay BALADJAY, a beautiful place in the morning side of the mountain beneath the clear flowing waters Sibalom River.
THE LEGEND OF BANBANAN
Sadtong panahon nga kulang pa lang ang tawo nga naga pangabuhi saa Barangay Banbanan, nga ang babae kulang ikumparar sa mga lalaki, kag ang pangabuhian sadto kang mga tawo amu ang pagrara kang banignga Banban, ginabaligya sa banwa ka Valderrama kag amo to nga ginhingadlan ang lugar nga Banbanan. Nagduru ron ang mga tawo. Patag kag bukid ang dya nga lugar , marayo sa banwa ilabi ron gid ang banwa kang San Remigio. Ang Barangay Banbanan laban ang pastuhan ikumparar sa pwede matamnan kag na improbar ang Barangay Banbanan kang pag Mayor ni Hon. Gideon M. Cabigunda, nga tatay kang aton mayor sa karon.
THE LEGEND OF BARANGBANG
There once lived in the western side of Igto-og hill an old man named Akoy and his wife Munday. Akoy thought of clearing a piece of land near his home where he could plant rice, corn, bananas, camote, and other root crops.
While he was making his land and clearing or “kaingin”, he saw a big tree at the base of which was an unusual huge hole where a snake of multi-colored skin-lived. Akoy called the snake “kambang” as its color suggested in the native dialect.
Nobody dared to look at the snake except Akoy himself. When other natives braved to satisfy their curiosity, all at once the skies would darken. Rain would fall in torrents and the earth would shake with thunder and lightning. Akoy could see the gradual craving in of the hole’s edge and the soil would be carried down by the continuous current, “bangbang” in the native tongue, following a single winding path to form a brook flowing to a river nearby.
To his surprise, Akoy could not find the snakenor the whole anymore. He informed the natives of the mysterious disappearance of the multi-colored snake and the huge hole eventual formation of a brook. Akoy and the natives therefore decided to name the place where they lived “Sitio Bangbang” after the surprising phenomenon that took place with the formation of the brook.
When the Spaniards came to the island they transferred the old site of the sitio to the present one. The old name Bangbang was changed to “Barangbang”.
THE LEGEND OF BAWANG
During the Spanish rule, Bawang existed without name. An old woman was the only resident of the place. One day, a Spanish soldier who was on his way to the northern part of the town passed by it. He happened to see the old woman who was busy planting “Bawang”. He asked her about the name of the place. The old woman was partially deaf that she failed to get the question right. She answered “Bawang” because she thought the Spaniard was asking about the plant.
The soldier continued his way up to the north. He kept reciting the word “ Bawang” in order not to forget it. Upon reaching the destination, his fellow soldiers inquired where he passed. He answered “Bawang”. From that time on, it was called “Bawang”.
THE LEGEND OF BUGO
Many years ago before coming of the Spaniards, there was a couple living on top of the hill beside the creek called Igbugtong. They were very ambitious that they finally settle to farm in wider valley below where a big tree called “Bugo” grow.
As years passed many people came to live in this area and they formed a village around the “Bugo” tree. From that time on they called the place “BUGO”.
THE LEGEND OF BULAN-BULAN
Kang una nga panahon, bag-o mag-abot ang mga Kastila, may duro nga mga kakahuyan nga ginatawag Bulan Bulan tree sa amo nga lugar. Sa palibot nga tuburan nga amon ginasag-uban kang tubig, Makita nang daw sa bualn gid nga kurte kang tuburan kun lantawun sa tion nga magsarok kang tubig ang mga tawo. Kon magbutlak ang bulan, una gid sentruhan ukon matup-an kang hayag kang bulan ang amo nga lugar. Kag bisan sa suba nga inyaman, ang tubig Makita gid ang katin-aw kon mahayagan kang bulan ilabi ron gid sa tiempo kang pagbunga kang mga kakahuyan nga inyam.
Halin sadto, ang amo nga lugar ginatawag nga “BULAN-BULAN”.
THE LEGEND OF CABIAWAN
Several years ago, there stood the eastern side of Igbolo a small hill. Below this hill was a little spring where the people used to see a rainbow after the rain. A native by the name Catalino Janiel was curious to know further about the rainbow’s end because it was believed that great treasures were buried in it. He dug up every day until he found a jar from which water passed through like gurgling spring.
On the day he discovered the jar, a storm broke. Lagasyanan and Igsolong Brooks flooded their banks. The higher portion of the hill was eroded, and the earth coming from it was carried away by the strong current to the Sibalom River.
The storm lasted for about two days and it destroyed almost one-half of the hillside. This was referred to as “cab-cab” in vernacular. After the heavy, Catalino Janiel and his family built dikes to protect the remaining land.
When other people inquired about the name of the barrio some years later, residents told them call it “CABIAWAN”, a name taken from the word “cab-cab”, meaning “to erode”.
THE LEGEND OF CABUNGA-AN
There was once a place in the mountains of San Remigio where the beetlenut palm or the “Bunga” grew in abundance. This nut was used by the natives to offer their visitors as a form of entertainment. This was chewed with “Buyo”, Apog”, and “Maskada”.
The people of the place considered it of great value that they wanted to remember its name all the time. So, they named there barrio CABUNGAHAN to denote the place where “Bunga” thrives best.
Later on, it was changed to “CABUNGA-AN” and up to this day, it carries the same official name.
LEGEND OF CADOLONAN
In the year 1750, San Remigio was just a part of the town of Sibalom. Due to its geographical location, the people found it hard to go to the town. Most of the sitios were situated in hinterislands with mountains, brooks, and creeks dividing them. For this reason the Capitan (now the municipal mayor) of Sibalom failed to supervise the different places regularly.
For years the people of San Remigio were given no concern and their welfare was disregarded. Leaders of san Remigio came to realize their plight, their hardships, their needs, and their education. They requested for separation from the town of Sibalom to form their local government. Their request was approved by the higher authorities and the town of San Remigio was founded.
Through mutual agreement by the leaders of both towns the boundary was drawn in the area which is presently within the site of the barrio. Thus, the people named the placed “DOLONAN”. Which means boundary. As years passed, the name DOLONAN was changed to “CADOLONAN”. That is how the place got its name.
THE LEGEND OF CALAG-ITAN (POBLACION)
When Sumakwel with his wife Capinangan was the ruler of Hamtic, whenever he went about his domain he spent most of his happy and romantic hours in the shady nook in the wooded hills of the present town site. Because of the congenial atmosphere and the many things which we enjoyed both in mind, emotions, and physical rejuvenation in this place, he called it “CALAG-ITAN” or Paradise.
But in the passage of time when Sumakwel was enjoying himself with his warriors in the heat of a hunt for wild boar, he caught his wife Capinangan in the tight embrace of one of his datus under the one shaded nooks in CALANGITAN. For this reason he called the CALAG-ITAN – a place of mga “lag-it”, a term meaning a place of the traitors, which is sad and undeserving in the part of the present inhabitants. Hence, to hide this terminology, there is another version to the story which tells that because of the presence of the many sharp boulders “lag-it” in Visayan, the place is called CALAG-ITAN meaning “A place full of sharp boulders”.
THE LEGEND OF CARAWISAN
Many years ago Carawisan was inhabited by the Negritos. These people did not farm but instead they roamed around to gather wild fruits and hunt wild animals for their food. They did not settle down to live permanently.
The Negritos named all mountains, hills, and brooks surrounding the place. Their names were derived from its formation and native wild plants that grew in abundance.
One day a couple by the name Caraw and Isan came to the place. The couple found out that the portion of the land was good for settling. So they built their homes on the present barrio site. As years, went on other people came. The negritos transferred to Tubayan which is now called General Luna.
When Caraw and Isan died, the people deemed to call the place “CARAWISAN” in memory of the first couple that came to live here.
THE LEGEND OF CARMELO
In the early part of 18th century, a sitio which we now called Barrio Carmelo in the Municipality of San Remigio, was originally inhabited by the families came from nearby towns to make permanent settlement of the place. In the absence of wisdom and knowledge, however, the settlers lived in the primitive way. Due to their ignorance, they believed in folktales and legends told to them. They were therefore superstitious.
According to the data supplied by old remnants of a resource person, the first name given to the sitio was “Igpalanog”. This name was supposedly taken from the sound of a big stoner on the top of the mountain within the sitio. It so happened, by chance perhaps, that some of the members of the mountain within the sitio sealed the top of mountain and struck hard the big stone, thus making an echoin sound of “Palayog” over the sitio. It was from this that Igpalanog got its name.
The original settlers of the barrio named Julian Tabalus became their Teniente Del Barrio. Being a popular figure to residents of the place, he was called by the people as Captain Julian. During his administration, he was so strict and powerful with the ability to command the people in the barrio. After his term of office expired, his son, Laurencio, succeeded him. This man was very lenient and kind to the people of the barrio. During his rule, the people of the barrio became quite civized and very religious.
As time passed into years, the name of the barrio was changed. Who knows, perhaps nobody could tell, for the settlers of the barrio were not very particular about the changes made to its name. According to reliable sources, there appeared one day miracle of the image of Santa Teresita in a field of the barrio. The news spread like to fire to the neighboring barrios and sitios until it reach the ears of Justice of Peace Luis Occeña of San Remigio. He went to investigate the matter and after hearing from the people the truth of the miracle, he made Santa Teresita as Patron Saint of the barrio on their fiesta. Thus the name “SANTA TERESITA CARMELO” became the real official name of the barrio up to this day.
THE LEGEND OF GENERAL FULLON
Before the settlement of Panay by the Bornean Datus, the negritos inhabited a place near Danao in San Remigio, Antique. Danao was a deep lake with an area of about two hectares where eels (as big as coconut trunks), edible snails, and diving beetles (Tanga) thrived. The Negritos built their huts around the lake because it was near the river where they fished and the forest where they hunted for wild dogs and deers.
One day Negritos were hunting while they left their young children playing and swimming in the lake. It so happened that one of the boys got drowned. The parents were informed about the incident. The bereaved parents ask for help, hence a meeting was called to decide on how the dead boy’s body could be fished out of the lake. No one dared to swim for fear that the lake is enchanted and inhabited by evil spirits.
The people agreed to dig the canal for draining the water. Every man and woman set the big task. No sooner had they started when the thick clouds covered the skies above the skies above the lake. People working couldn’t see each other.
Fearful that the worst would come they asked for forgiveness for what they did. They stopped and amazed to note that the dark clouds vanished.
That was why they called their place “Kadulman” which means “a place of darkness”.
Later, it was changed to GENERAL FULLON in memory of the late General Leandro Fullon.
THE LEGEND OF GENERAL LUNA
Many years ago, many Aetas lived in a place which later on was known as “Tubayan”. Among them were two balitaw dancers and composers whose talents were known far and wide. They were Mantad and Manuela. Often times they were asked to perform in big festivals and as reward they were given food, money and clothing.
Aside from the Aetas there were also other people living there. They raised fowls and other animals for living. They also raised staple foods and other crops. Time and again, the aetas would ask help from them. However, the people get tired of sharing and they gave no more. The Aetas resorted to stealing and the people were forced to keep watch of their property intently. In the dialect they called it “Ginatubay-tubay”.
Not long afterwards, two big families from Valderrama, namely Juan Tomas and Melquiades Alagos came to live in this place. The first thing that they did after settling was to drive the aetas away. More families later emerged through the intermarriage among children of both families. When a barrio was formed they called it TUBAYAN which was derived from the term “ginatubay-tubay”.
During the incumbency of Mayor Leoncio H. Cabrillos, it was changed to GENERAL LUNA in honor of our greatest heroes.
THE LEGEND OF IGUIRINDON
It was named after the brook Iguirindon found near the place of its site, which was located on a promontory or hill overlooking now the “Durog” and farms owned by Mr. Salvador Emmanuel or Mr. Jose Fabila, etc. How the word Iguirindon came about is uncertain.
Nevertheless, there is a hazy and interesting legend that, once a young, adventurous Spanish soldier who came to San Remigio, has spent some years in Manila, learning a little Tagalog. With his limited vocabulary in “Tagalog”. He did not know a single Visayan word. While he was on geographical and military mission in San Remigio or “Tigbagacay” he came to beautiful “Dalaga” bathing in a brook. Appreciation for the young and beautiful knows no barriers, and the young Spanish Officer seeing a “beauty in person palpitating with life, would like to communicate with the damsel and addressed her- “Buenos Dias, Gining”. “Como se Ilama este lugar?” (“Goodmorning, Miss. What do you call this place?”) The beautiful “Dalaga” blushing in her sixteen summers, thinking that the young officer was asking what she had in her basket answered – “Igui ria don” (“These are edible snails, sir.”) The youthful officer feasting his eyes on the “beauty” before him, thinking that his question was answered called the place “IGUIRINDON” in honor to the ravishing “beauty” he had seen in her native color.
LEGEND OF RAMON MAGSAYSAY
San Ramon was formerly known as “Lumlum”. Derived from the name of the lake in that place. During the Spanish period, it was thickly populated. However, bandits often went there to rob the people of their property so the natives transferred to the neighboring barrios where they found peace and security. That is why, until now the population is sparse.
In 1960, the barrio folks gathered in an Assembly to discuss the move to change the name Lumlum to San Ramon in honor of the barrio’s patron saint. Due to be able to leadership of the Barrio Captain, Mr. Numeriano Dubla, Jr., and their plan materialized. Now, the barrio carries its new name, RAMON MAGSAYSAY.
THE LEGEND OF RIZAL
Kang una nga tiempo, may mga grupo kang mangangayam nga nag ato sa kabukidan kang dya nga lugar samtang nga nagapangita sanda kang mga “wild animals” parehas kang baboy talunon kag usa , may nakita sanda nga isara ka mabahol nga bato nga ang hitsura anggid sa sangka tawo. Ang amo nga hitsura pareho gid sa laragway kanga ton pungsudnon nga Baganihan nga amo si Doctor Jose P. Rizal. Kag ang amo nga balita nabatian kang mga katawhan sa bilog nga baryo kag naghinun-anon ang mga tawo nga ang amo nga baryo pagahingaranan kang Barangay “Rizal”.
THE LEGEND OF SAN RAFAEL
Many years ago, a man named RAFAEL ANDRES and his family lived in the hinterlands of Manlabog Mountains. Many more families came after them to settle down here.
The intermarriage among members of Rafael Andres’ family and other inhabitants from the neighboring sitios like Igbaong, Bolongcadios, and Miagusan resulted to a formation of a village which became known as SAN RAFAEL, named after Rafael Andres, the first man to inhabit the hillsides of the Manlabog Mountains.
THE LEGEND OF SINUNDULAN
There once a place called Igkatmon which was located near a river which teemed with fishes. One day Datu Sumakwel went out to fish in the river with his Kapinangan.
They carried a fishnet or “laya”.
While the Datu was fishing he happened to reach one of the river’s deepest part or “linaw”. On one side was a big stone which occupied almost one-half area of the “linaw”. Datu Sumakwel dived to catch his fishnet… When he pulled his body up to the surface he didn’t know that he was a near a big stone. He bumped his head on it. That incident became memorable that the barrio which was founded later came to be known as SINUNDOLAN which means “the place where Sumakwel’s head struck against a big stone.
THE LEGEND OF SUMARAY
Sa panahon anay kang nabantugan nga buyong kang anyo 1870 ginatahod kag ginakahadlukan nga amo si Mario alyas “Oto”. Ang buyong nga si Oto ginasugid nga may kina-adman kag may anting-anting indi madakapan kang mga lagad kang kasuguan. Si Oyong Mario alyas “Oto”, Amo nga ginapahingaranan kang barangay Sumaray, kabangdanan kang 1870 ang amo nga barangay inatake kang balatian nga “hangga”, kag ang tanan nga kabataan hasta nga mal-am nga nagaestar sa amo nag barangay ubos gid matapikan kang amo nga balatian. Ang mga masakitun naga araray ukon nagahurulid lang sa kada balay, hay wara pa kato anay ti bulong nga makatapna kang amo nga balatian.
Gani nag abo tang adlaw sa wara ginapa-abot kang mga pumuluyo ang makangiridlis nga daw indi mapatihan. Kang mapatyan ang amo nga barangay naga darason-dason lang ang patay sanglit indi matatapan kang buhat kang lungon. Ginabarahusan run lang ang iba kang banig kag ilubong. Mayad gani hay may sangka mal-am nga nagpahanumdum nga amo si Apoy Esco nagkuon nga sa tarabukan sa sapa aragyan paagto sa patyo, dyan ilubong ang sangka patay. Ibalabag gid sa dalan nga magtabok sa sapa, gani gintuman kang mga tawo ang paglubong. Sa kaluo-oy kang dios, nagpasalamat ang mga pumuluyo. Amo to gintawag ni Oyong Oto nga Barangay Sumaray, meaning “amu ang barangay sa diin naghurulid araray ang mga patay”.
THE LEGEND OF TRINIDAD
The barrio of Trinidad was named after the daughter who was dearly loved by her parents.
Long ago, when the Poblacion was still in its old site, there lived a couple named Anastacio Maza and Veronica Erael. They didn’t reside long in the old town, for a portion of land was given to them (which is now Trinidad). So, they decided to transfer there for good. They became the first settlers of this place.
At first the place was nameless. So the people decided to call it Victoria in honor of their eldest daughter. However, death changed the name Victoria to Trinidad in memory of the latter. That is how TRINIDAD came to be presently called.
THE LEGEND OF TUBUDAN
In the year 1863, Tubudan was thickly forested with trees that measured to approximately three men’s arms extended around their trunks. This place was homestead of the LAVEGA FAMILY. Five small huts were built in there, which served as shelter for the Captain (now Mayor) of San Remigio against the icy cold winds that blew over the place.
“TAN MACO” (Climaco Orquia) of San Remigio and “TAN TIYONG” of Sibalom with their respective parties came to cut the lumber for their respective towns for the construction of the public building in their municipalities. Upon staying for a night, they noticed the abundant and gurgling spring that provided drinking water for the animals. They advised the Tenientela MARTINA LAVEGA to name the place “TUBUDAN”
From that time on the people called the Place TUBUDAN, a vernacular term for “spring”. Actually the barrio is located near the three springs which provide the water even during the hottest summer days. Hence, TUBUDAN is an appropriate name for this barrio.
THE LEGEND OF WALKER
Walker was formerly called “Dipa” a term used by the mountain people to call a very low place among the mountains. Most of the people living here built their homes in the narrow lowlands, which could not accommodate all of them.
During the American occupation bandits and robbers roamed in the distant barrios to rob people of their belongings. The helpless people of Dipa appealed to the higher authorities for help.
A brave young America Captain named “Walker” was sent to this barrio together with some of the American Soldiers. They fought hard with the bandits until they were finally able to drive them away. Since the barrio became peaceful.
To honor the valiant American Captain Walker and in memory of this heroic fight, the name “Dipa”was changed to “WALKER”.
THE LEGEND OF INSUBUAN
Many years ago there lived a beautiful maiden in the mountain ranges San Remigio by the name of “Buan”. Aside from her beauty she possessed a very fine character. Rich and poor came to ask her hand but not one of them was accepted. Her parents wanted to marry the richest and the bravest of all, yet “Buan” disagreed because he had no place in her heart.
One morning, though worried and tired, she took a walk to forget her troubles. Without her notice she reached a thick forest and there she met a handsome hunter by the name Insu. Both of them were dumfounded when they first met and they fall in love with each other.
At last her bravest suitor discovered their relationship and he got jealous. He ordered to the “Buan” to a tree and asked her to marry him but “Buan” refused.
Both Insu and Buan were tied on a tree, yet they were happy to die for the sake of their love. From this time on the place was called “INSUBUAN”.
THE LEGEND OF LAPAK
When Datu Sumakwel learned about the richness of one of the rivers in San Remigio, he wandered to search for it. It should be noted that before he reached the top of Mt. Manlabog, he set foot first on a sitio adjacent to it. It was named “Lapak” to denote the place the wise datu had once stepped on.
Although it is still considered a sitio of Lumpatan it is popularly known as LAPAK.
THE LEGEND OF LUMPATAN
During the reign of Datu Sumakwel, there was a time when food become scarce. The Datu got worried on how he could help feed his people.
News reached him that a certain river called Maninila teemed with fish. It was said that Datu Sumakwel possessed exceptional abilities in almost everything and the great skill in handling the fishnet was known far and wide. When he heard the big news, he ventured to catch fish in the river.
He searched for the Maninila River from early morning up to 3o’clock in the afternoon until he was able to reach the peak of Mt. Manlabog. While he was viewing how he could be possibly reach further the river below, he saw hens and pigs. He spread his fishnet ready to trap the animals and jumped down the mountain side.
The events became very significant that a barrio founded later within the site was name d “LUMPATAN”.
THE LEGEND OF LA UNION
During the Spanish time La Union was a thick forest which served as a hiding place of wild animals and robbers coming from the mountains of Iloilo. When the American Civil Government was established, people from Igbaras, Miag-ao, San Joaquin and those from the northern towns of Antique settled here. Their houses and farms were scattered around the area where a big called Bato Cueva stood. Every year the population increased.
In 1926, when Mr. Perfecto Maza Petinglay was the Presidente Municipal of San Remigio, he assigned Councilor Marcelino Mission to supervise the municipal district of which Bato Cueva is a part. One day, he gathered the people living around or near Bato Cueva and requested them to live close together. He gave the name “LA UNION” to the area where the people united. From the time on, the barrio was called “LA UNION”.
THE LEGEND OF MAGDALENA
Magdalena was once a rocky place covered with thick forest and tall talahib grasses which became a favourite hiding place of bandits. For this reason, it remained uninhabited by people for several years.
Later on, some brave wonderers came and made clearings in the forest which caused the bandits to leave the area and flee to the mountains nearby.
One day a storm occurred. This was followed by an earthquake which shook the earth and form cracks in the mountainside. The strong winds and the heavy rains lasted for several days and nights. These caused the loose of earth and the rocks to be carried away by the running water from the creeks in the hill side, which eventually levelled the area below.
When the people learned about the clearings caused by the storm, they started to look at the place. They began to like it, so they built houses there. More people came afterwards. When a barrio was formed they called it “lay-on” which means “a mass of earth deposited by water”.
Years later there was a born in one in one of the families residing in this barrio a beautiful maiden named, Magdalena. She was so loved by the people that when she died the name “lay-on” was changed to “MAGDALENA” in her memory.
THE LEGEND OF MARAGUBDUB
In the year 1870, Vicente Balena, Narciso Maulitin, Pantaleon Marfil, Domingo Balena, and the others founded a sitio along a brook called Maragubdub. It was said that every time there was a heavy rain the brook overflowed its banks. The water that flowed swiftly would strike a big stone situated at the middle of the brook, thus creating a loud roaring sound which the people referred to locally as “dagubdub”.
Five years later a barrio was formed. The residents decided to call it “MARAGUBDUB”, a named derived from the name of the brook that irrigated the lands in that place.
THE LEGEND OF NAGBANGI
There was once a couple who lived at the side of a big mountain that used to be covered with all trees and thick cogon grasses. They had three industrious sons who helped them cultivate a small tract of land near their cottage where they planted crops enough for the daily consumption. This family was the first inhabitants of Nagbangi.
Whenever they were asked where they stayed, they would answer “sa bangi ka bukid” which is a vernacular term for “a place at the mountainside”. However, it later became known as “NAGBANGI”. From then on, it remained to be its official name.
THE LEGEND OF NASULI
Barangay Nasuli is bounded on the south by the Calag-itan Brook and on the North by the Sibalom River. Many years ago, a stream flowed toward and upward if you may call, to the settlement from its source which apparently was were the present cemetery is now located. Running against the stronger flow of the bigger Calag-itan Brook of which his stream was only a tributary, the direction which stream took was unusual. The settlers used the local term “SULI” (reverse) to call this phenomenon. Years of erosion covered this stream transforming it to hectares of fertile rice fields, but the name “SULI” stuck and now the Barangay is known as “NASULI”.
THE LEGEND OF ORQUIA (IGKATUMBAL)
Once upon a time during the earliest period of antiquity, there was dreamful place in the wilderness at the outskirt of the municipality of San Remigio, Antique. The water coming from the fountain of this place was terribly bitter superseding the bitterness of the pepper fruit, that whenever one could drink the crystal water of his spring who is unaware of its venomous taste, he will surely meet his most unfortunate fate.
During the barbarous period of rampant banditry, there was a band of bandits who came across the aforementioned place for a temporary refuge from the harassment of the authorities. This band had kidnapped a very beautiful woman named “MATAMIS”, tantamount to the sweetness of a fragrant flower.
Upon arriving at this place, the leader of the bandits ordered his men to look for water to drink in order to quench their thirst. Nevertheless, after a vain search of two hours, these men came back and reported that they had found a fountain of crystal-clear water at the middle of the forest. Immediately thereafter, they went there and discovered that the surrounding vicinity of the place is a hideout. The Chieftain of the band requested one of his men to taste the water from the fountain. However, much to their surprise, the man who drank a drop of water unfortunately met this untimely death.
All of sudden a strange a voice was heard that the cause of death shall follow for those who will attempt to drink unless a sacrifice be made of a beautiful woman whom captured. Alas! All of them were so thirsty that death is investable if they could not drink that instant.
In lieu of sacrificing his life’s most loyal comrades, the Chieftain had no other choice but to offer as a sacrifice “Matamis”, a paragon of unexcelled beauty. Subsequently, after sacrificial offering, the water flowing from the spring of death eventually turned sweet and all the bandits rejoiced with the exception of the Chieftain who remorse the suffering of “Matamis” the woman he adored most of his lifetime.
Out of the bitterness of water formerly from the place sprang the name “IGKATUMBAL”. Out of the death of “Matamis” came the endless happiness of the people where they are free to drink the sweetness of life, peace and prosperity.
THE LEGEND OF OSORIO
Osorio was founded in the year 1905 by the Protestant Pastor Reverend ADRIANO OSORIO, after whom the barrio was named. After the conversion of the people into Protstantism, the first inhabitants were Lauriano Matias, Igmedio Marfil, Fructoso Tabaque, and their respective families. They first settled in sitio Agricula, now barrio Agricula. In order to identify their group from the Aglipayans and some other Roman Catholics, they moved to sitio Igba-ong, the legendary kingdom of King Hilario in 1908. They settled on the northeastern part of Igba-ong Brook. The people were taught doctrines by the Protestant Minister Rev. Ignacio Gonzales.
Years later, the people moved to the site where the present barrio is now located. The first public school in the barrio was established with its first school teacher, Sr. Laureano Tabaque. In 1938, a better school building was constructed, the expenses of which were shouldered by the Central Government under the direction of the Division Superintendent of Schools, Mr. Gonzalo Guzman with Mr. Florencio Macuja as the District Supervisor. The incumbent Alcalde Municipal was Sr. Leoncio H. Cabrillos
Despite the influence of the Protestant faith, most people were superstitious and sad to say their way of life had not progressed much.
THE LEGEND OF PANPANAN I
Panpanan I is situated near the boundary of Antique and the Province of Iloilo. It surrounded by hills and mountains. One of these mountains which could be seen from afar is Mt. Culabao. It is from this mountain where the former name Panpanan I was derived.
Years later the name Culabao was officially changed to PANPANAN I. However, the barrio still continues to be known by its first name Culabao. This is to distinguish it from Panpanan II.
THE LEGEND OF PANPANAN II
Panpanan was mostly inhabited by Negritos many years ago. Some year’s later people from Insubuan, Dipa and the other neighboring sitios transferred to this place. Among them was a couple who became parents to lovely daughter who was baptized “Maruray”. She grew up to a beautiful lady.
One day a stranger named Lido who was on his way to another barrio dropped in to take a short rest. He saw the young lady whose beautiful attracted to him. Maruray likewise fell in love with Lido at first sight. The man proposed to her and asked for her hand. Luckily her parents consented.
Before they were wed a sad thing happened. While the two lovers were taking a walk across the river a heavy rain fell so they took shelter in a small cottage nearby. When the rain stopped they decided to go back because it was getting late. Confident that the river was swallow they crossed it. Unfortunately, Maroray got drowned.
The natives who admired the girl so much deeply felt her sudden death. They still wanted to honor her. The old man Jose whom they considered their chief, suggested that they would call their place Maroray and the people readily agreed. However, later on, because of the initiative of the municipal officials, the name “Maroray” was changed to PANPANAN II.